The Solar Homestead is Appalachian State University's entry in the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2011. Inspired by the pioneer spirit of the early settlers in the mountain region of North Carolina, we have designed a self-sustaining zero energy home.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Decathlete of the Week Part-3

Our third Decathlete of the Week. No smoke in mirrors here, Sammy's videography skills will amaze you.

Sammy Cortino
Sammy capturing family time in the Solar Homestead

Job Title: Creative Services Director

Area of Study: Broadcast/ Theater

How did you get involved? "The ASU communications department told me about this and I was so enthusiastic that I was the first in my department to tackle the project."

What do you like to do with you time off from the Solar Homestead? "I'm a professional illusionist- so the business and production aspects of that. I also love music, hiking, and running."

What was your favorite part of producing the Solar Homestead videos? "Every project is different and because of that I improve in my skills. I love the spur of the moment camera work I do, where I record parts of the building process and various projects: you never know what's going to happen - so you always are on your toes to not only make sure you're in focus but also to make sure you effectively capture the moment on film."

Magic's Royal Duke Sammy Cortino- Dare to Dream
What are your plans after the Solar Decathlon 2011? " I have the premiere of my touring stage illusion show on January 27th at the Old Post Office Playhouse in Hickory and then I'm basing my magic business in Nashville while I tour."

What is your favorite magic trick to perform? "My card manipulations or my levitation."

What would you do with your Flex-Om? "I'd turn it into a studio."

Fun-facts: Every minute of video takes 10 hours to produce. Over 30 hours of HD video has been shot since last October at a total of 350 gigabytes of data.

The Solar Homestead would like to thank Sammy Cortino for his diligence and organized planning for all of our video deliverables. Your expertise and creativity have been invaluable to the team, and we couldn't have done it without you! Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment