The Solar Homestead is Appalachian State University's entry in the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2011. Inspired by the pioneer spirit of the early settlers in the mountain region of North Carolina, we have designed a self-sustaining zero energy home.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Decathlete of the Week - Part 2

The Solar Homestead team proudly presents our second Decathlete of the Week:

Jill Yerden
Jill and her 1,000 page baby -- the Project Manual

Her outstanding work and commitment to the Project Manual last week ensured a comprehensive and complete look at all pieces of the Solar Homestead.

Job Title: Design Team Member

Area of Study: Building Science with a concentration in Architectural Technology and Design, and Spanish.


How did you get involved? "Chad asked me one day after class a year ago, and I've stuck with it ever since."

What is your favorite section of the Project Manual? "One of the last deliverables that I had for the Project Manual in March, I added in a snuggie to the specs just to see if they actually did read the whole thing -- they did. I took it out, but I wish I had put it back in for this one since the judges have less than 30 minutes to review the entire document and I don't think they'd find it this time."

What do you like to do with your time off from the Solar Homestead? "Read a good book, enjoy the outdoors, hang out with sisters, and catch up on some needed sleep."

What was the first thing you wanted to do after finishing the Project Manual? "Have a good meal and sleep after a week of barely sleeping. I went out with some people on the Communication Team for dinner and by 8:30 that night I was out."

After traveling in Spain where would you like to travel next? Definitely Ireland.

What would you do with your OM? "I would use it to store all my old, redlined copies of the Project Manual."

The Solar Homestead team would like to thank Jill for all of her long hours working to edit and finish the project manual! We couldn't have done it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment