The Solar Homestead is Appalachian State University's entry in the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2011. Inspired by the pioneer spirit of the early settlers in the mountain region of North Carolina, we have designed a self-sustaining zero energy home.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Decathlete of the Week!


Mike Germano

Job title: Construction and Project Management team member

Joined team: January of 2011

How did you get involved? "I heard about it my sophomore year.  Then my teacher was talking about it because she was excited for it because she was part of Purdue's team a few years ago. I couldn't join for a while because I could not get out of work but I knew I just had to make time so I joined the team in January."

Best part of working on the Homestead? "Conquering sleep...haha... The whole project is fun because everyone is fun to hang out with and we are doing something to better society."

What do you like to do outside of the team? "Sleep and relax outdoors"



Would you rather be a pirate or a ninja?  "Definitely a pirate because they get to pillage the seas, drink rum, and have a great time sailing all day."

Would you rather play European football or American football; "European Football.. I played both in high school but I miss soccer more."

Rumor has it you have some kind of Christmas traditions? " H aha. Yeah I grow out my beard and dye it white and dressed up like Santa to go to school. It is a lot of fun!"

Mike has dedicated all his extra time outside of class and work to the Solar Homestead. He has been fantastic about setting the standard for commitment to the project. Thank you for working your pants off!


No comments:

Post a Comment